The journey to enlightenment is long and arduous, but not impossible. Do you think you can take it?

About Me

My photo
I am at peace, with the world around me and myself. I have found enlightenment. It took me sometime, but I found it. I am a ferryman and live in a hut alongside a river. Govinda has also found it too, he is my dearest friend.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Son

Dear Journal,
Yesterday was dear Kamala's funeral. Our son, young Siddhartha, is with me now and sadness is within his heart. He is used to living a life of that of a rich man. That life I cannot give him. I am trying to raise him on my own without luxurious things, but it is not coming along well. He does not show much kindness towards me, and I understand his reasons for it, but nonetheless I still show him my compassion, patience, and understanding.I hope that one day he can obtain these traits in his heart, but I am not sure that he will. I also hope that one day he will join Vasudeva and I in our lives as being ferrymen. I have my doubts though, for he has ran away from me after I had asked him to gather some sticks and after he yelled at me. He told me that I was not his father no matter how many times I had shared company with his mother and that he would never accept and join my lifestyle. The morning after he left, Vasudeva and I had found that the boat was gone, left at the other side of the river, along with the money that he and I had been given as payment for bringing people back and forth across the river. We knew it had been little Siddhartha and we made a raft to take across to get the boat. We got the boat back, but before we brought it back, I left to try to find my son. I know he didn't want me to try, but I just had to. I could not find him, I looked throughout the village and went to Kamala's old garden where many of the monks were and just sat there blankly, oblivious to what was happening around me. Vasudeva soon came as he followed me and together we returned back to our hut.

6 comments:

  1. How do you think father Siddhartha felt after his son had yelled at him? Do you think that he understand how his son feels? Is the only reason his son is behaving unrespectfully to his father because he does not have a mother?

    -Kelley Volk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really seems like Siddhartha Jr. had intense animosity towards his own father! What a son... SMH...

    -Delaney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know how he did it, but Siddhartha never lost his patience with his son. Never once did he yell, hit, or loose his cool towards young Siddhartha. I think Siddhartha and young Siddhartha are very different. Siddhartha is more of a patient person and understands that he needs to give his son some time, where young Siddhartha is very stubborn and does not want anything to do with his father! How sad.
    -Orly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you ignored Siddhartha's emotions for Kamala's death. The book also did that. I really liked the language you used and the details that were given
    - Layla Ramos

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine how painful it must've been for Siddhartha senior to put up with his disrespectful son. I know I would have not been able to be as patient.-diana m

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why did Siddhartha's son act like how he did? Is it because of Kamala's death? I think that it was very hard for both of them;Siddhartha dealing with his disrespectful son and the son's feelings toward his mother.
    -Ayaka Takemura

    ReplyDelete